Wednesday, February 1, 2023

A Memorable Month Unfolds

 This will be a month my wife and I will treasure for the remainder of our time on this planet.  It's one of those life-changing milestones.  My wife is signing off at her day job for the last time at the end of this month.  We got a preview of what our lives will be like yesterday when her boss allowed her to come home in the middle of the day.  We decided to have a date and catch a matinee.

My wife was the one to pick our movie, A Man Called Otto.  I knew nothing about the movie and neither did my wife.  I don't want to spoil the plot here so I'm not going to say anything other than I believe this is a must see movie.  If you can, avoid previewing any trailers and just go.  You may question why I suggested this movie but you need to see it all the way to the end before you make any judgments.

I would like to acknowledge all the hard work my wife has done for our household over the years.  She stayed home to raise our kids when they were young.  She gave them a great start.  It wasn't until they were older that she re-entered the job world.  My wife inspired me to get on the Dave Ramsey band wagon which led us to a debt-free lifestyle.  Now it's time for her to enjoy the fruits of our labors.  

A wise man once told me, "You never lose your first multiplier but you can lose your last one."  This maverick was teaching a pint-sized young buck about the importance of saving for your retirement years.  I listened.  I also took some risks that didn't go my way.  So, while my wife prepares for life sans a day job, I will be adding one extra "multiplier" to my life at my day job.  Just like yesterday's story referring to metabolic flexibility, I will be keeping in mind that I must be somewhat flexible when it comes to an exact retirement date for myself.  July of 2030 may seem very distant right now but the way time is flying I do believe when my own retirement month unfolds it will seem like yesterday when my wife signed off for the last time at her day job.  Congratulations to my wife for all her efforts keeping us afloat these last 33 years.  Have a great day.

No comments: