Saturday, December 31, 2022

Highlight of the Year and Most Interesting Friend of the Year


This is a year I will forever treasure.  For those in my age group, I think you can agree with me the years seem to accelerate with each calendar flip.  As this year comes to a conclusion I would like to showcase my top event and my most interesting friend of the year.

I haven't shared much about our ten day pilgrimage to Ireland.  The crystal ball of Glendalough given to us by my wife's aunt Susie, a frequent visitor to the Emerald Isle, is my daily reminder of our life-changing opportunity.  Glendalough is a place I visited every morning during my daily meditations long before we decided to venture across the pond.  It was an important stop but not the greatest highlight of the trip.  The number one highlight of my year and quite possibly the top highlight of my life was our visit to Knock, Ireland.  I knew absolutely nothing about this place until it showed up on our itinerary.  Our local bishop who led our pilgrimage said that the veil between Heaven and earth is thin in some places and Ireland is one of those places.  

On August 21, 1879, fifteen recorded witnesses saw something out of this world in Knock, County Mayo, Ireland.  Their vision is on display in a 3d replica inside the church in Knock.  Those of us who were on the pilgrimage attended a Mass led by our bishop, Thomas Zinkula.  There he was lifting up the Heavenly host, saying "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world."  Our bishop was standing directly beneath a lamb who was standing on an altar.  This lamb was part of the vision.  Oh, what a sight to behold.  The moment was too sacred for me to capture but it will be with me all of my days.

Next up is the most interesting friend of the year.  Like the highlight of the year in Knock, this new friend is rather extraordinary.  He did not grow up in the states like 98% of my friends but in a communist country where his people were in constant danger of extinction.  When my friend described his upbringing I found myself spellbound.  Then he revealed something about himself that blew my mind.  Boris is a direct descendant of the tribe of Levi.  He can trace his roots all the way back to Aaron, the brother of Moses.  We talked greatly about his people and all they have been through.  All I can say is I'm deeply grateful for my daily Bible in a Year podcasts which prepared me to keep up with Boris.  I have so many questions for him but they will have to wait until our next adventure.  By the way, Boris is a wine steward at our day job.  He was called back early to help out during the Holidays so our time together was cut short.

If I can make one suggestion for the New Year coming up at the stroke of midnight tonight, it's regarding travel.  Do it.  Don't wait.  See places like Ireland.  Meet people like Boris.  Savor every moment of each day.  Some day the veil between Heaven and earth will be completely removed.  Until that time comes, find Heaven on earth and find people who make you feel like you are already in Heaven.  Happy New Year!  Have a great day.

No comments: