Tuesday, May 10, 2022

When Surrender is Not Defeat

 Ten years ago I surrendered the last hold out in my life, finances.  I simply let go.  Outsiders lamented my white flag.  All the signs of defeat were there for all the world to see.  It was epic.  News of my demise spread quickly among my creditors.  They were nervous.  I was too.  I was about to leave familiar surroundings and enter the complete unknown.  A part of me felt defeated.  Something happened during the next ten years.  That's how long it took for the surrender to turn into new life.  

Does a caterpillar surrender when it goes into the cocoon phase?  What about a bear when it hibernates?  Is it surrendering to the lack of food and warm weather ahead?  What about a soldier who leaves his family to fight overseas and leaves his loved ones behind?  Or Jesus, who voluntarily gave up his life in the most horrific way possible?  All of these situations have one common theme, new life.  Surrender is a necessary step in the process.  If I hadn't let go of my old life I would still be a lost caterpillar or a bear who skipped hibernation and starved to death.  And if Jesus hadn't surrendered his life then none of us would have new life.

Is there something in your life today that could use the surrender option?  Please don't even consider what others will think of you when pondering this question.  Their opinion doesn't matter.  What's important is that you become the butterfly.  You may need to retreat from your current life to get there.  I recommend that you go all in.  Have a great day.

No comments: