Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Long Bike Ride Today

Today's story is my progress report on fitness.  Two out of the three tennis teams I play on are headed to the state championships next month.  Our bench is deep and we are confident we can advance to the next level of competition should we prevail next month.  Meanwhile, I'm cross training in order to raise the bar on my physical fitness.  I'm slowly building new muscle memory for long distance biking.

I encountered two obstacles yesterday regarding Ragbrai.  The first is that the bike ride sold out.  That means I will be riding without the support of the sponsors.  Also, the team I'm riding with is out.  I'm going solo.  Bad weather for training, COVID, and other life events got in their way.  Yes, that's a bit scary because I really don't know what I'm doing.  I'm okay with this because the main idea is to make biking a permanent part of my life and this event in July is only a stepping stone.  My time is blocked off for the week and I'm going to wing it.  That means camping out nightly after fifty to seventy miles a day of riding in hot temps.  All life is an adventure.  This will be an interesting chapter.  Have a great day.

No comments: