Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Highlight of My Bike Ride

 The picture says it all.  I crossed paths with a doe while cycling yesterday.  We spotted each other at the same time and I immediately hit the brakes hoping to snap a photo before she retreated  into the dense forest.  She observed me the whole time while I slowly pulled my camera out of my travel bag.  It was as if she was posing for the picture.  Her ears tuned in like radar to track my movements.  I got two shots and she darted off like a race horse.  

The bike ride was success.  I'm gradually getting accustomed to the hills and my new bike.  I'm also trying to figure out a way to ride across the state without the support of a team.  One option that is catching my eye is something called bikepacking.  It's like backpacking except your gear is carried in bags attached to your bike.  Most Ragbrai riders rely on others to haul their gear.  If I decide to give bikepacking a try I may get an opportunity to get closer to nature.  Yesterday was a ten.  There are many more training days ahead.  So far so good.  I'm only on the first note of training, doe a deer.  Don't worry.  I won't sing it.  That duty will be left to my musically inclined cousins.  Have a great day.



No comments: