Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Life through the Lens of a Five-Year-Old

 I've been wearing a picture of Nile on my name badge at my day job since I met him a couple of weeks ago.  He's the champion tasked with raising awareness about our local children's hospital.  He's not the main reason for today's story.  It's about another five-year-old girl who saw his photo and wanted to know more.  Her mother who was standing behind her closed in to hear Nile's story about coming into this world needing all the help he could get just to survive.  At the end of the story I asked the young girl if she would like to donate a dollar to help Nile's friends at the hospital.  The answer was immediate.  Mom pulled out her debit card and completed the donation on behalf of her daughter.  I put a smiley face on the little girl's receipt and told her what Nile's dad said to me, "Every dollar matters."

Never underestimate how the children see the world.  She is one of a small percentage of people who actually noticed Nile.  She cares.  Perhaps that's what Jesus means when he says we must become like little children.  I'm thankful I got to be a witness to this act of kindness.  The movers and the shakers of our company paid us a visit yesterday.  It was nice to see them.  None of them know they were outranked by a five-year-old who gave one dollar to help someone she didn't even know.  That's the one who moved and shaked my heart this week.  Have a great day.

No comments: