Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Prayers for My Godmother, Please

 


Nearly sixty-two years ago the most significant moment of my life happened in a small church in Arizona.  I was Baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.  My parents closest friends, Tom and Ann Daniel, stood with my parents when I first received the light of Christ and became a member of God's family.  Last night I spoke with the family including my Godfather.  He recounted their lives in Yuma, Arizona where they both taught school.  My Godfather was a member of the first Arizona State wrestling team.  I could hear my Godmother's voice in the background requesting that we open a location in her town.  "That may take an act of God," I responded while she laughed.

Ann is at home now in hospice.  She is surrounded by her loving family and husband of 63 years (next month) as she goes through the final steps of her journey on this planet.  It is a most excellent life she is living all the way to the finish line.  Ann inspired my Godfather to become a teacher.  He would come home exhausted after long days working and see his wife grading papers.  He volunteered to help her and found his passion for inspiring others in the classroom just like his beloved wife.  My Godfather coached wrestling for most of his career, helping 142 of his kids get scholarships for higher education.  My Godmother still mails monthly contributions to her favorite charity, St. Jude.  To say that I scored big when I got the Godparents my parents selected is very much an understatement.  These folks are pillars of their community.

My Godfather told me that it was his wife who helped him get closer to God.  I feel the same way about my wife.  I texted a couple of photos including one of my wife and me standing in front of a cathedral in Duluth, Minnesota where I was on assignment last year.  The youth pastor in that church leads millions around the world in a Bible in a Year podcast that we listen to daily.   

I told my Godfather that there were times in my life when I was away from the church.  That candle they lit for me at my Baptism is still on fire in my heart where Jesus lives.  I may be far away geographically but both of my Godparents are in my heart and I'm praying for them now.  They gave me permission to share this story with my readers because they understand the power of prayer.  Thank you for praying for them, their children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.  Maybe you can toss in an extra prayer for my day job boss to expand to Yuma and fulfill my Godmother's final request.  That's an assignment I would love to be a part of should God decide to part the Red Sea and send me to help out the same families that my Godparents served in their brilliant teaching careers.  Tom and Ann, thank you for being my Godparents.  I'm asking every one of my readers to pray for you.  I love you.  Have a great day.  ¡Vaya con Dios!

No comments: