Friday, July 15, 2016

Happy 27th Wedding Anniversary to Mrs. Caveman


Mrs. Caveman gets a red straw for her morning smoothie today.  It's not normally the color I pick for her but today is special.  It's our twenty-seventh wedding anniversary.  Our journey began five miles to the south of us in a small town where she grew up.  The tiny church where we recited our wedding vows is no longer there.  Not much has changed in her hometown.  The population is holding steady at about 200, the same as it was when she grew up.  She moved away at 18 and found me in the Valley of the Sun.  Now her roots are also my roots.  This is my home.  Yes, home is where the heart is.  You can search the world over to find what you're looking for only to discover that everything you need is right in your own backyard.  The same thing happened to me when I scoured the planet for a graphic artist for my first novel, The Caveman in the Mirror.  The search ended five miles to the south of us in my wife's hometown.  Yes, I've found where the green grass grows and it's not on the other side of the fence – it's in our own backyard.  She'll be savoring her view while sipping her smoothie – the one with the red straw.  Happy Anniversary, Mrs. Caveman.  I love you!

No comments: