Tuesday, December 31, 2013

How Do You See Yourself in the New Year?


The picture you see here is a screenshot from a powerful scene in the movie, It's a Wonderful Life.  George Bailey is staring at his father, Peter, who is no longer in this world.  Below the photo is a quote, "All you can take with you is that which you've given away."  The older I get, the more I realize how much I have in common with George.  I even recall a time in my teenage years when I falsely believed the world would be better off without my presence.  Thank God for the numerous angels who intervened.  Amongst them is my precious wife.  Many years ago while we were vacationing in Maui, she whispered in my ear, "my wish is to always make you happy."  Through all my trials and errors, my wife stood by my side, just like George Bailey's wife, Mary, a woman who helped George recognize what is truly important in life.

A New Year begins at Midnight.  For me, it's extra special.  This summer we will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary.  Our youngest son will be graduating high school.  I plan to share 365 more daily blog stories with you.  My first novel, The Caveman in the Mirror, will be published.  It's a story about a man who looks in a mirror, sees something from his past, and goes on a journey of discovery.

My wish for you today is that you see yourself becoming the person you were created to be.  You have a clean slate in front of you at midnight tonight.  Your New Year is a gift.  Open it up.  Share it.  And always remember – all you can take with you is that which you've given away.  Be generous.  Say, "I love you."  Live this New Year to its full potential.  If you have a moment, please share how you see yourself in the New Year.  I would love to hear from you. 

No comments: