Saturday, November 9, 2013

When Writing is Like Playing With Tinker Toys


Did you ever play with Tinker Toys when you were a kid?  That's what writing is like for me.  It's spilling out a carton of assorted pieces all over the floor and then figuring out how to build something.  The inventor of the game withheld instructions for assembly.  What are you supposed to do?  If you're a writer, you do one thing — tinker.  And if you tinker long enough, someday you may find yourself creating something the world has never seen before.

With the exception of my cousin, Mark Mulligan, a singer who drifted through my new home state last summer on a music tour,  I haven't seen my side of the family in over 18 months.  Most of them have no idea what I've been doing with my Tinker Toys.  Here's what I'm developing:
  1. Caveman Reflections... A Cyber-bistro.  This is a gathering place for readers, writers, publishers, editors, childhood friends, high school and college classmates, and friends from all over the world.  Every Friday I share a new chapter from my first novel, The Caveman in the Mirror.  Once I'm done tinkering, the novel will be available on Amazon.com.  Click here to check out the Cyber-bistro.
  2. Free Lemonade Stories.  This is a collection of stories and interviews from people who inspire me.  Once my novel is complete, I plan to spend more time on this and turn this project into an E-book.  Click here to check it out.
  3. The Caveman in the Mirror.  This is the ultimate Tinker Toy — an interactive novel filled with characters who literally jump in to become a part of the story.  Thomas is on journey to find something.  He is a little on the delusional side.  That doesn't stop him from seeking his destiny.  Just like Tinker Toys, there is a lot of writing, cropping, re-writing, editing and more writing before the final version will be released.  I believe sharing free chapters every Friday gives readers an opportunity to join the journey and become part of the story.
I hope you make some time in your life to enjoy building something.  Tinker Toys work for me.  Give it a try.  It's fun.  See you tomorrow at 8:08 AM, Pacific Time.  Thanks for stopping by today.

No comments: