Monday, November 18, 2013

Speaking of Wisdom


Do you know what happens when you say His name?  I'm talking about Jesus.  An ancient doctor who followed Jesus wrote this:

  “But before all this, they will seize you and persecute you. They will hand you over to synagogues and put you in prison, and you will be brought before kings and governors, and all on account of my name.  And so you will bear testimony to me.  But make up your mind not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves.  For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict.  You will be betrayed even by parents, brothers and sisters, relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death.  Everyone will hate you because of me.  But not a hair of your head will perish.  Stand firm, and you will win life." ~ Luke 21:12-19

I heard these words yesterday while sitting with in the front row of my house of worship with my wife's aunt, sister, and cousin.  My wife and youngest son were out of town, accompanying their freshman students on a mini retreat where monks preached the same message I heard on the 33rd Sunday in Ordinary Time.  I felt like Jesus was speaking directly to me in my time of need.

Jesus is the source of my wisdom.  He gives me the words and wisdom that none of my adversaries are able to resist or contradict.  He inspires me to walk into a courtroom alone without an attorney to defend myself against my accusers.  Yes, I will bear testimony to Him all the days of my life.  And when judges ask, "what is the source of your wisdom?"  I will answer, "Jesus.  He is with me at every trial.  Because of Jesus, I stand firm and I win life."

No comments: