Friday, November 1, 2013

What Grade Do You Give Yourself?

Don't worry.  You don't have to share your answers.  This is for your benefit only.  Today is an opportunity to look in the mirror and do a self-evaluation.  Some of you may be asking, "what are the parameters?"  That's up to you.  If you need help grading yourself, here are some additional questions to consider:
  1. Do you have any idea why you're here on this planet?
  2. Are you developing the gifts you have to help you accomplish all the things you wish to do with your life?
  3. What grade to you give yourself for the progress you made so far?
  4. What do you think you can do to raise your grade?
  5. Are you satisfied with your report card?
I believe people who have trouble grading themselves also struggle with the question about why they are here.  Once you figure it out, the other questions are easier to answer.  Be careful about how critical you are when you're looking in the mirror.  If you spend too much time critiquing your flaws, you will never get anything done.  Your work is not supposed to be perfect.  If you spend your whole life trying to be perfect, you will end up with a failing grade.  And if you rate yourself below average, you're probably doing much better than you give yourself credit for.  Let me give you an example that hits close to home...

My mother often repeated to me she felt she was failing as a parent.  Raising six kids was no easy task.  It got even more difficult after my parents divorced.  Even though my mother felt she was failing, she never gave up on us.  She prayed for us daily.  She still prays for us daily.  She figured out a long time ago her children aren't perfect.  We're not supposed to be.  Neither is she.  My mom taught me that it's okay to fail as long as you keep trying.  Failure is the building block you need to create a better life.  Your grades only matter if you use them as a progress report to help you become the person you are created to be.

I don't know too many mothers who save their children's report cards from Kindergarten, especially when it reads: I think he can do better.  My mom handed over my report card to me as if it were some sort of Olympic torch I'm supposed to run with until I cross the finish line.  Sorry mom, I read it and shred it.  But I didn't torch the lesson.  Mrs. Kaboose was right.  I can do better.  And I will.  Every day.  I give my mom an A+ for her perseverance.

Whatever grade you give yourself today, keep in mind there is always room for extra credit, even if your life happens to be an A+.  Share your gifts with others and keep learning.  Have a great day.

No comments: