Monday, September 9, 2013

What It's Like to Live "Out-there"


Unconventional.  That's the word I use to describe what it's like to live "Out-there," a place far away from where normal people reside.  No, my circuit's not dead.  I simply choose to ignore the pleas from loved ones who want to talk me down from the edge of the cliff.  I enjoy living on the fringe.  This is where I belong.

Here are some examples of what "normal" people say:
  1. It's okay to borrow money.
  2. You should trade in your used cars regularly before they depreciate too much.
  3. Car payments are unavoidable.
  4. I don't need an emergency savings account, that's what credit cards are for.
  5. Debt is good, it helps your credit rating.
Here's what I say:
  1. If you're paying bank fees, you're paying too much.
  2. If you invest in your own hair clippers, you can save $150+ per year on hair cuts.
  3. Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches taste better when you invest the money you save from not eating out.
  4. The best cars on the market are the ones other drivers fully depreciate.
  5. There is life after cutting the cable on your TV.  My cable TV died during a big US Open tennis match and I ended up watching the match on my laptop.  All I need to do now is convince my family we don't need cable TV.
  6. Mortgages are temporary.
  7. You don't need a credit rating if you live debt free and pay cash for everything.
  8. There is always enough time to get important things done when you prioritize.
  9. There is no obstacle too big to stop you from becoming the person you were born to become.
  10. If you want to change your future, stop living in the past and work on changing your present.
It turns out I'm not all alone.  Two of my adult children are in college.  The oldest is working two jobs while attending school full-time.  One of his employers reimburses him for tuition when his grades are at least a "B."  He runs half-marathons in the morning while most people are still sleeping.  My daughter, also a full-time student, interviewed for her third part-time job last week.  Her prospective employer asked, "You're a full-time student with two jobs, why do you want to work here?"

"I'm ambitious," she replied.

"You're hired," he said.

Ground control will do their best to reach my children and try to convince them their dreams are far-fetched.  Banks will try to persuade them it's better to concentrate on school and take advantage of student loans so they don't have to work so hard.  My children can't hear them.  Neither can my cousin who is celebrating his birthday today.  Like me, he enjoys living "out there."  He was the first member of my family to prove you can escape from Alcatraz, even when the world says it's  impossible.  These are the people in my life who inspire me to live "out there."  Happy birthday, cousin.  Someday we will show the world what happens when two "out there" Mulligans team up for some competitive doubles in our age group.

Are you ready to live "out there"?  What changes are you ready to make to help you reach your personal goals?  Please share in the comments section below.

No comments: