Friday, September 13, 2013

Novel Ideas Capture New Readers


Did you ever imagine in your wildest dreams you would read books on your cell phone?  How about using your watch to talk to your friends?  Those Dick Tracy two-way wrist watches first shown in comic strips in the 1940's are no longer Sci-Fi — they're our reality.  I'm super excited to tap into all this new technology so we can improve the way we connect.  Here are some ideas to ponder if you're interested in capturing new readers:
  1. Consider what ideas you have to share with others.  What are you good at?  Cooking?  Traveling?  Time management? Parenting?  Decide what message you would like to share with others.
  2. Decide where you want to place your message.  No, it doesn't need to be in a paper-back book.  Yes, it can be somewhere in cyber-space, like a blog, a FaceBook page, or an e-book you publish on-line. 
  3. Set up a twitter account and start connecting.  There are thousands of people out there who are already utilizing the new technology.  Follow them.  Read their messages.  Ask them for advice.  Post your own ideas in short Twitter messages to attract your own followers.
I'm six months into my first novel.  I'm breaking all the rules.  It's like inviting my audience to a chocolate factory.  Readers get to see the chocolate as I'm making it.  They get to sample it for free.  I'm letting them inside my factory before anything is boxed up and sent to the editing room.  It's fun.  Visitors are encouraged to help me make the chocolate.  I invite them to become part of the story.  Do you want to visit the chocolate factory?  Click here to enter.

What ideas do you have that you would like to share with the world?  Please add to the conversation in the comments section below.

No comments: