Thursday, August 25, 2011

Is Jesus Real?

There are a couple of atheists in my inner circle who have been trying to convince me there is no God.  These friends are well educated and fun to be around.  One of these friends will be making guest appearances on my blog for a project called "Point-Counterpoint."  The debate is open to all who follow this blog and readers are welcome to participate provided respect is shown for both sides.

When I encounter someone who has no belief in a Supreme Being, one of my favorite questions I pose is this...."Do you believe there was once a historical figure named Jesus who lived approximately two thousand years ago?"

Most atheists and agnostics I meet agree there was a man named Jesus.  I look for as many areas of common ground as possible before moving into the "twilight zone," that area I call faith and atheists call fiction.

If the atheists are right, the entire discussion about Jesus is meaningless.  In fact, life is meaningless.  I will let the atheists argue the meaning of life if there is nothing to look forward to after death while I concentrate on the question of the day... "is Jesus real?" (cue the twilight zone music).

At least one of my two atheist buddies acknowledges there was a man named Jesus.  My next question is about the historical references in the Old Testament of the Bible.  This section of the Bible is loaded with accounts about the Jews.  My questions are designed to discover all the areas we agree on.  Even today, there are people who deny there was a holocaust.  It's the predictions in the Bible that are difficult for the atheists to explain.  Either they were written after the fact or some people were very lucky in foretelling the birth of Jesus.

The core question about Jesus has to do with His divinity.  If Jesus is who He claims He is, then He has power over death and His promise that He will return for us is real.

Who do you say Jesus is? Do you believe He came into this world for you?  Do you believe He died for your sins so that you can have new life? Do you believe that He rose from the dead and that He will keep His promise to return for you?

Today is your day to decide to accept or deny Jesus.  If the atheists are right, your answer doesn't matter.  If they are wrong, your choice is the most important one you will ever make.

No comments: