Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Dart Board


Is your happiness rated by the number of times your darts hit the bulls eye?  If you are one of those people who can't be happy until your darts land on the right spot, you are missing out on something special.

Life is the act of throwing darts.  Happiness is the choice you make no matter where the darts go.  Stop berating yourself because your neighbor has a higher score than you.  You have your own dart board and your own set of darts, customized just for you.

I'm paying a visit to the eye doctor this morning for the first time in my life.   Sometimes, if I stand too close to the dart board, it looks blurry.  This is common for people like me who are old enough to be a card carrying member of the AARP.  The odds are that my dart throws today may not be as good as yesterday's score.  I don't focus on that.  Instead, I rejoice that I can still get out of bed every day and throw darts.  I will enjoy making new friends at the eye doctor's office and look forward to improving my vision.

Maybe you're having trouble seeing your dart board.  If it's not your vision making things blurry, perhaps something else like a job loss, uncertain future or cancer is taking the fun out of your dart game.  You may not have control over where your darts land, however, you do control one thing...your attitude.  Choose to be happy today and every day.

No comments: