Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Right to Privacy

When I shared with my family my intentions to write a memoir about our dad's final days with us before he succumbed to cancer, there were some concerns about our family's privacy.  My mother asked to read the final manuscript before I sent it off.  I asked a couple of siblings to co-author with me, however, there were complications and they urged me to pursue the book on my own.  I appreciated getting permission to share our story with the world and my family liked being part of the editing process.

Readers want to know what's going on in the head of a writer and there is a delicate balance between sharing our lives and protecting the privacy of the family.  I've learned a couple of lessons about privacy.  My family appreciates knowing I will only post pictures on my blog if they give permission first.   This rule also applies to any family stories.

Use caution when you are sharing information that involves others.  Always get permission first and be sensitive to the privacy of those close to you. 

No comments: