Saturday, June 4, 2011

Thy Will Be Done

Our Father, Who art in heaven
Hallowed be Thy Name;
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen. ~ Matthew 6:9-13



Jesus teaches us how to pray to our Father using simple words that often challenge us to behave differently.  He knows this is a struggle for us.  So many times in my life I've asked God to help me with my own plans rather than following His.  

The big question I ask myself about doing things my way instead of God's way is, "why?"  

It all comes down to one thing, trust.  If I don't trust God to lead me to the place I'm supposed to be, of course I'm going to do things my way.  I may as well skip the entire prayer if I'm going to separate myself from God's plans.  Forget about the kingdom coming, the daily bread, forgiving our tormentors, and as far as temptation goes, if I'm on my own, doing my own thing, I may as well forget about asking God to keep me away from temptation.

Let's look at the flip side, doing things God's way.  Isn't it interesting to see how the Lord's prayer is so perfect when we decide to follow God all the way?  He wants to bring His kingdom to us while we are still on earth.  He can't do it unless we let Him be in charge of everything.  Forgiving our enemies leads to peace.  Staying away from evil keeps us in the light and close to God.  Receiving our daily bread means getting everything we need to face life's trials.


Amazing.  It all comes down to "thy will be done."  The world will think you've lost your mind once you decide to go "all in" and let God be in charge of everything.  Who cares about the world?  Wouldn't you rather receive the kingdom?  To do this, you have to let go.  I've decided to live my life this way.  If Jesus can die on the cross for my sins, I can do whatever He asks of me.  It starts with a prayer.  Are you ready to follow Him?

No comments: