Thursday, June 9, 2011

From the Battlefield

Many on the battlefield are wounded and the casualties high.  The enemy maintains strong supply lines and vast alliances.  Politicians seek to ban God from graduation speeches and public buildings.

I find myself on the front lines.  My comrades are tired from years of fighting a spiritual war that depletes all our assets.  We huddle in prayer inside our foxholes while enemy fire lights up the skies.  Is there hope for us?

I turn to my Bible and find comfort in the Book of Revelations.  Even the enemy knows the final outcome.  He persists in a war He can't win.

Who will stand up to the enemy?  What sacrifices will be needed?  The Evil One taunts our side to raise the white flag of surrender as He boasts about His recent wins.

A gray-haired man crawls out of the cave.  His arms and legs are wrapped in bandages and he appears weak from lack of food.  His clothes are like rags.  He stands upright on his bare feet and pulls a black book from his backpack.  The pages are torn and the book mired in dust.  While glaring at the Evil One, He begins reading...

 1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
 2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
 3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
 4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
 5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
 6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. ~ Psalm 23

One by one, the man's friends re-appear to hear the man reading.  Their ammunition is expended and they are cut off from supplies.  When the man is finished reading, they join together in song...

http://www.clarrissegill.com/videoclips/amazing_grace.php

No comments: