Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Follow the Yellow Brick Road

It happened again this morning.  I couldn't get the "Follow the Yellow Brick Road" song out of my head.  The first time it occurred was a couple of weeks ago.  Some days, I get multiple messages in my heart for blog writing.  On this particular day, the song was so annoying, I decided to go with another story and forget about the yellow brick road.

For those of you who get inspirations in the middle of the night, you can relate to today's post.  Today's message started as a jingle.  This is how the Spirit speaks to me...visions, dreams, songs, and ideas that come to me while I'm half-sleeping.  When I wake up, the birds singing outside help sprout these little seeds planted inside me.  These ideas become something special to be given away to you.

One of the lessons I've learned about the thoughts I get in my heart is they haunt me like a lingering nightmare until I release them.  There are days when I'd rather not be an open book.  Other days, I'd prefer to skip a chapter and fast forward to a less embarrassing message.  If I want to keep hearing the Yellow Brick Road song in my head, all I need to do is not write about it and it will stay with me until my head explodes.  Here goes....

The yellow brick road is not some kind of fantasy like Dorothy's adventure in "the Wizard of Oz."  It's a path to our destiny. Along the way, we will meet our own scarecrows, tin men and lions.  They are the people we are to help.  Together, we find the meaning and purpose for our lives.

Our yellow brick road will not always be bright and sunny.  There will be dark, stormy days and we will be confronted with challenges that make us question why we are staying on such a difficult path.  There will always be naysayers who tempt us to turn around.  Sometimes these are people who love us.  They don't want to see us in pain and they think their advice about abandoning the yellow brick road is for our own good.  They don't realize our journey is not about us....it's about the scarecrows, the tin men and the lions, it's about the lost and the fallen.

The Holy Spirit has already revealed my yellow brick road.  You too have a path to follow.  All roads lead to Jesus.  He is at the end of trail. Are you ready to follow Him?

(Editor's note:  added 1/6/12  - Click here to "Follow the Yellow Brick Road" and add your brick to the road under construction)

7 For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. 8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.  ~ Romans 14:7-8

No comments: