Friday, May 20, 2011

A Little Bit of Wisdom

It all started with a teenage prayer...."Please Lord, give me a little bit of wisdom.  This world is so complicated and I know how busy you are.  I need to figure out how to get my act together and I lack so much in the intelligence department.  Can you send me some?"

I didn't notice the answer right away, however, as I look back, I see God planted some amazing people in my life.  In my future wife, I clearly saw her beauty which probably masked the wisdom within her.  As I grow older, I see this hidden side of her.  Maybe she covered this part of herself up to keep me from feeling inadequate?  She saw life's potholes before I did, yet kept her mouth shut as we hit each one at full speed.

What do I see now with this wisdom God blessed me with?  The answer is simple...Like my wife, who gradually revealed her inner gifts to me, God has opened my eyes to see who He is.  He is all knowing, all powerful, and all loving.  He is the beginning and the end.  He is the Father of the universe.  He is our Dad.  We are His children.

I always understood the all knowing and all powerful part of God.  It was the all loving part that was difficult to comprehend.  After all, all you need to do is look around at how messed up the world is.  You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see the evil.  I failed to understand how an all-loving God could allow so many troubles to exist.  One day the light bulb went off.  It is our separation from God that leads to all the problems.  We seek false solutions like drugs, sex, gambling, and power to make us feel better.  Until we see God as the Supreme Being who is calling out to us to be with Him forever, we will be missing that little bit of wisdom needed to bring us completeness.

Go ahead, call out to Him.  "Dad, I want you to live in my heart forever.  I'm sorry I ignored you and pursued other interests instead of looking for you.  From now on, I want to be with you forever.  I also promise to forgive my brothers and sisters and I will work on all my relationships.  I will do my best to love them the way you do."

No comments: