Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Getting Things Done

Have you ever heard the saying, "if you want to get something done, give it to a busy person"?  Why is it that some people accomplish so much while others flounder?  I am amazed at all three of my sisters.  They have multiple children involved in all sorts of activities, yet still have time for entertaining and leisure activities.  What is it that sets them apart?

This is an area of my life that I am still developing.  For me, it helps to tackle my top priorities as soon as I get up.  These love letters that I write my wife (and she writes me) have become a habit.  She goes to work ahead of me and I return later in the evening.  These letters are a way for us to remain connected in our busy world.  I must write her before I do anything else.

This daily blog is my promise to God and to my community.  This is also a "must do".  The book is an extension of the blog.  I have calculated the amount of time it will take for my part of the book (the co-author will be announced at a later date).  In order to have the manuscript complete by Thanksgiving Day and the book released by March 17th, 2011, the required time is a minimum of thirty minutes per day.

Certain time wasters need to be identified in order to get through the daily "to do" lists.  Keeping a time log for a week may surprise you.  I have cut out most TV, however, when I do watch something, I record it first so I can skip the commercials.

The biggest lesson I have learned about getting things done is that if there is a purpose behind your activities, your motivation increases.  You learn to jump over hurdles instead of being frozen by the size of the obstacle.  Your energy level increases as you focus on the finish line.  Each finish line you cross increases your confidence levels and you "raise the bar" in goal setting.

Now that I have committed myself to writing a book and I have set a "time target" (see post from 9/25/09), there is a plan in place to help me get things done.  Whatever you wish to accomplish with your life, invest some time in writing the goals down and then...GO FOR IT!  Send me an email and let me know what your plans are for your future.  I would love to hear from you.

No comments: