Monday, May 3, 2010

A Day at the Ballpark

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest- Matthew 11:28

Yesterday, my wife's aunt was beside herself.  Our home team was playing the team she grew up supporting and she did not know who to root for.  She would catch herself yelling out a word of support and then try to take it back.  The fans sitting around us laughed as she entertained them.

Before the game started, the Padres players lined up to have pictures taken with the fans.  We arrived early to meet our son's heroes.  For our son, this day was even better than going to Disneyland.  The line went all around the outfield and we searched quickly for the back of it.  What a surprise to learn that the players would come to us once we got a place.  Instead of meeting just the one player that my son picked out in advance, we met seven.  What a joy to see the smiles on my kid's faces as they got their pictures taken and visited with the ball players.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, the marines came marching in, all in single file and not far from our seats.  I approached one of the leaders and told him my son would be joining their team in about four years.  He assured me that they would take care of him.

In the seventh inning, a local high school girl sang "God Bless America".  Yes, there are still places in our country where we have the freedom to sing this song in public.  We munched on peanuts and cracker jacks while enjoying our shady seats, a must for my wife who can only tolerate small amounts of sun.

In the end, our home team came out on top with an 8-0 shutout.  We all went home with smiles on our faces, even Aunt Susie who can now go back to rooting for the Padres full-time.  The lesson I learned is that nothing beats a day of rest and relaxation like a day at the ball park with your loved ones.  If you have not had a break in a while, why not check out a game?

No comments: