Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Shabbat Shalom

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid -  John 14:27

One of my business partners is part of God's Chosen Ones.  My other partners like to greet him with a Shalom upon his entrance.  Now that I understand the meaning of Shabbat Shalom (peaceful Sabbath), I will incorporate it into my vocabulary.

Words sometimes lose their full meaning when they are translated from one language to another.  Hebrew words, like Shalom, have many meanings.  What was Jesus really saying when He said "Peace be with you"?

Shalom is a noun and a verb.  It is something that you receive.  Once it is accepted, action is expected.  The Shalom is intended to be spread to others.  So, what do you get when Jesus gives you a Shalom?  You get everything you need to be who God created you to be.  From one word, you get hope, faith and love.  You get the Holy Spirit who supplies you with wisdom and understanding.  You receive the ability to forgive others and let go of grudges.  Pretty neat, huh?  It's like an all-inclusive package to a vacation resort...everything you need to have the time of your life is there for you.

What are you doing with the Shalom that Jesus have given you?   Did you bury it in the sand like the slave in the Bible story?  Remember him?  The one who was afraid to return his talent to his master in poor condition, while the other two invested theirs and multiplied it?

Jesus came to us to give us Shalom.  Action is required.  Do not return it to Him wasted and unused.  Make sure that your Shalom is more than a greeting...make it your verb...your call to make a difference in the world around you...Shabbat Shalom!

No comments: