Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Why I Barbecue Burgers in 28º Weather

 There are two things that stick out in my childhood memories, camping on the weekends and family barbecues.  My dad didn't really care much about Mother Nature's rants.  One time we were huddled in the forest after a storm and my dad was doing everything he could to get a fire started.  It wasn't easy with all the wet firewood.  He persisted adding more and more lighter fluid to the kindling my brothers and I gathered.  Boom.  The fire exploded casting flames nearly as high as the branches underneath the pine tree above our heads.  Once the flames were under control, dad proceeded to make his "world famous burgers."

The weather was 28º all day yesterday.  My wife requested burgers assuming I would prepare everything inside on the stovetop.  I could hear my dad's voice inside my head whispering that the sun was going to be out later and I needed to fire up the Weber he left us before departing this world.  I did every preparation exactly like my dad did in our wonder years.  He taught me a specific way to prepare the patties using the palms of my hands and my thumbs to get the shape just right.

Something special happened last night.  Maybe the flavor was out of this world because I worked up an appetite shoveling snow in my driveway prior to the barbecue.  Maybe it was the green chiles that were baked for 20 minutes at 400º that I added on top of the burgers along with crisp bacon.  Perhaps it was looking into my wife's eyes as we munched on burgers made from my dad's recipe.  I'm thankful the clouds dissipated in time for my dad to observe what I did yesterday to honor his memory.  Thanks, dad, for the childhood memories.  And special thanks to my mom for the aftermath of those camping trips.  While dad was nearly setting forest fires for our barbecues in challenging conditions, you did everything else for us six kids.  The laundry.  The dishes.  You did all this without complaining.  Maybe you didn't like camping because of all the work involved but you allowed us to grow close to nature.  Now the world knows why I barbecue burgers in 28º weather.  Have a great day.

No comments: