Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Fighting Mother Nature Inside Your Own Body

I know, I know.  You're probably getting sick and tired of all my Mother Nature rants, especially if you're not from around the Midwest.  You're at the beach sipping margaritas and the last thing you need is to hear about my man vs. nature struggles.  Well, I have news for you and it's about the inner struggle vs. Mother Nature and this applies to all of us no matter where we live.

Stanford professor, Andrew Huberman, who specializes in neurobiology and ophthalmology, got my attention when he talked about the inner battles we have with Mother Nature.  This field intrigues me because I'm always searching for ways to maximize my life and I'm always trying to stay one step of Mother Nature.  In my opinion, winning the inner battles plays a role in winning the external battles.  How can you get ahead if you can't even get out of bed in the morning?  

Huberman believes Mother Nature has this amazing reward/punishment system in place for your actions.  Do the right things, like practice gratitude, and Mother Nature stimulates your serotonin.  Your dopamine system lights up.  You feel good.  Your immune system improves.  Life is good.  Now, let's say you do the wrong things.  Mother Nature goes into punishment mode.  A molecule, Tachykinin, gets released that lowers immunity and raises irritability.  This is not good.

Make sure you are winning the inner game vs. Mother Nature.  Practice gratitude at all times.  Convince yourself that your internal landscape is fine, even when Mother Nature may be hitting you hard externally.  There is always something to be thankful for.  Have a great day.

No comments: