Wednesday, March 16, 2022

The Fat Lady is Humming

They say it's not over until the fat lady sings.  As my dad said in his final letter to his twin brother before his death, "It's not over until the fat lady sings but I already hear her humming a few bars."  I'm referring to our debt monster in today's story.  Tomorrow the seven-headed fire breathing dragon will be out of his misery for good.  This is my last day in debt slavery.   

My friends are already asking what's next.  If I can stay true to the discipline my wife and I developed over the course of 32 years of marriage, I'm going to keep attacking my writing goals.  For me, writing is a calling.  It's similar to debt reduction in that writing requires daily discipline and surrender to your own will. Ask any writer how he or she feels about deadlines and you will discover how they are wired.  My opinion about goal setting has changed as I have changed.  No longer do I believe I am in charge.  I realize I am not in control.  What I do know is that when Jesus is in charge of my life I can move mountains.  I can slay dragons no matter how many heads they have.  I can stand up to anything that comes from the Dark Side as long as Jesus is standing behind me.  The fat lady sings tomorrow.  Come back and visit me.  The celebration will be short as I need to get back to work.  Tomorrow may look like a finish line but it's simply one more chapter in the process we all call life.  Have a great day.

No comments: