Monday, February 7, 2022

The Jewel in the Palm of my Hand

My wife is the jewel in the palm of my hand.  She is more precious than gold or silver.  We will be celebrating thirty-three years of marriage this summer.  I'm thankful for every one of these years, especially the ones that came after my car accident four years ago.  Had it not been for the sheet of ice beneath my car on that day I would have been crushed to death.  Instead, my Honda pinged as if it were on ice skates and I twirled away from a near-fatal outcome landing in a ditch on the other side of the road.  As much as I wanted to see my wife at the hospital, the roads were too dangerous.  We were separated when I needed her most.  It wasn't easy for either of us or our adult children, especially our daughter who was in the car when my world fell apart.  The paramedics left our daughter behind at the scene of the accident.  They left in haste because I was struggling to breathe.  Our daughter would be the one to tell my wife what happened when we were t-boned by a van traveling at 50mph.  

There have been many times in my life when I let go of things that I wanted to hold on to.  I'm learning that holding on is not necessarily a good thing.  The exception to this is the jewel in the palm of my hand.  The Creator of the universe led me to her.  Thank you for allowing me an opportunity to share this story today.  The other day someone asked me how we are celebrating Valentine's Day.  I told her, "Every day is Valentine's Day."  Have a great day.


No comments: