Tuesday, July 21, 2020

I Found a Needle in the Haystack

My first day back in North Dakota was filled with a big surprise. I had a small gap in my schedule and decided to get my haircut in Bismarck. I met Charon (pronounced like Cher and Ron). She wanted to know why I was in town and I shared about my desire to learn more about the state my dad grew up in.  I mentioned a family story about my grandfather who put skis on his small plane so he could make house calls in the Winter months in Langdon.  Back in the day the population was around 1,500.  It turns out that Charon's dad grew up in Langdon.  They may have played sports together.  I have a picture of my dad from his high school football team on my refrigerator.   It was easy for me to spot the three Mulligans on the team because they have a distinct look that keeps showing up in every generation.

I lost my dad to lung cancer at age 67.  Charon lost her dad to lung cancer at age 66.  The day she cut my hair was the anniversary of her dad's death.  

If you happen to be in Bismarck and you need a haircut, see Charon at Sport Clips.  Tell her you read about her in my needle in the haystack story.  Have a great day.  

No comments: