Friday, January 27, 2017

Around My Writing World in 80 Days


My wife asked me this morning, "how do you come up with this stuff?"  I was sharing today's blog title with her while she pulled a scarf from her wardrobe and wrapped it around her neck.

"You know how it works, honey," I said.  "It's all part of the writing process.  The Holy Spirit wakes me up in the middle of the night and takes me on a magic carpet ride, inspiring my daily thoughts."

"Well, thank God you let me sleep," she said, giving me a kiss before spinning around in her classic Mary Tyler Moore style and disappearing into the snow flurries.   Here's the rest of the story...

80 days is the tip of the iceberg.  I'm not counting my first novel because it's fiction, even though others tell me my characters in The Caveman in the Mirror seem oddly familiar to them.  Besides, that part of my writing career turned out to be highly toxic as the sedentary lifestyle during all those days writing exposed some health issues.  The first thirty-five days are recounted in God's Black Sheep Squadron.  It's about our family time with dad during his epic battle with cancer.  From the time his plane landed until we said our final good-byes, it was thirty-five days.

The remaining forty-five days have to do with my cousin's 45-Day Caveman Experiment that forever changed my life and most likely extended my life span.  I'm sharing all the details on May 1.  That's it for now, I'm disappearing into the flurries and heading to my day job.  Have a great day.

No comments: