Friday, May 20, 2016

Thinking of My Dad Today


He was taken out of the game in the 3rd quarter of his life at age 67 on 5/20/02.  I had a pretty good idea early in my life dad's lungs would eventually be invaded by cancer cells.  My homemade birthday card had a bunch of cigarette butts glued to the front and the message inside got to his heart – Dad, I love you and I want you to be around for a long time, please quit smoking.  I will never forget the look in his eyes when he read that card.  Maybe someone today will get the message and find a way to overcome their addiction.  I'm not going to dwell on the past today except to keep doing the things I do to help others find their way.  You can't force others to change their behavior but you can plant the seeds – or the used cigarette butts.  And you can pray they get the message.  I'm thankful for the time I got to spend with my dad, especially in those last thirty-five days of his short life.  RIP, Patrick John Mulligan. 

No comments: