Friday, May 13, 2016

Got Superstitions?


It's Friday the 13th.  Some people may stay home today because they don't want any bad luck in the outside world.  Others may check the lunar calendar to make sure there's not any double trouble today.  I believe most superstitions are linked to fear of the unknown.  I admit I do have my own idiosyncrasies.  For example, I believe it's good luck to always arrive fifteen minutes early.  Part of this may be my own fear of unknown obstacles, such as an unexpected traffic jam, or a last minute interruption that requires immediate attention.  My promptness has always brought me good luck.  My stress levels are reduced because I'm not rushing.  I'm also better prepared for any unlucky things that may get in my way.

Some people may feel faith is one of those areas that is superstitious.  If these people don't believe in a Creator of the universe, then everything believers do may appear odd to them.  I like what Jesus has to say about fear.  His own presence 2,000 years ago was God's way of helping us get rid of fear.  He didn't arrive fifteen minutes early.  He appeared at the exact moment his Father planned, even though there wasn't any room at the inn.  Jesus teaches us not to worry about anything.  Friday the 13th is just another day on the calendar.  Savor it.  Have a great day and don't worry – be happy.

No comments: