Saturday, May 28, 2016

My Date With Destiny


I got my ticket to the playoffs four weeks from today and I'm not a spectator.  It's my date with destiny in Waterloo, a city that took its name from the epic battle which ended in a crushing defeat for Napoleon.  The French Revolution began on the Jeu de Paume, an indoor tennis court.   Our team trains on indoor tennis courts in preparation for our date with destiny.  Our hope is to do something Napoleon couldn't do – get out of Waterloo in one piece and advance to the next round of playoffs. 

Many in my age group are already making retirement plans.  I'm just getting started.  No longer do I look backward at previous defeats in dismay or appear concerned about the greatest opponent of all ages – Father Time.  I am what I choose to become, a warrior.  There are many lessons to learn on the battlefield of life.  Win or lose, Waterloo will be a defining date on my calendar.  Will it be game, set match for the old men?  Stay tuned.  Have a great day.

No comments: