Wednesday, June 26, 2013

7 Things Worth Pursuing


Do you have a bucket list?  If so, how did you decide what to put on your to do list and how do you manage to complete them?  The reason I ask is because many of the people I meet tell me they're unsure about where they're going with their lives.  Your answers in the comments section at the end of today's story may help someone who is struggling.  Here are seven things I'm working on in my life:
  1. Forgiveness.  This is a continuous challenge.  My old list was wiped clean years ago.  It felt good to finally let go of all the grudges I carried.  I still struggle sometimes when people around me fall short of their commitments.  It's better to forgive quickly than to let the hurt magnify.
  2. Authenticity.  I really appreciate it when someone trusts me enough to share their weaknesses.  Early in my career, one of my mentors touted a "fake it until you make it" strategy.  I hid my flaws and secretly hoped no one would ever see me fail.  Many who attempted to get close to me found smoke and mirrors.  I was a master at creating illusions.  Now, I pursue authenticity.
  3. Balance.  My type A personality sometimes interferes with living in the present.  I get restless when I'm not working on the "check list."  There's a time to work and a time to play.  I'm learning to find the right balance between the two.
  4. Competency.  One of my business partners shared how he felt about the lessons we learned building a business from the ground up.  He said, "Mully, we both earned honorary PhD's for what we've been through together."  My years as an entrepreneur opened my eyes to all that I don't know.  I want to spend every day of my life learning something new, mainly in the area of writing and public speaking.  This requires a minimum of one hour per day dedicated to learning new technology, increasing my vocabulary and practicing my writing skills.
  5. Relationship building.  Relationships are a two-way street.  I want to do my best to be a better friend, a better dad, and a better husband.  My commitment is to give more than I take.  This is a life-long pursuit.  Every blog story I write invites my readers to share something in the comments section.  My hope is that more readers will be willing to share a part of themselves for the benefit of others.
  6. Love.  The easy part about love has to do with people who mean something to me.  The challenge is to love the ones who are outside my circle of friends and family, the ones who prefer to attack others rather than live in harmony.  The best way I can do this is to look for something good inside them.
  7. Perseverance.  This is a daily assignment.  Each day is a new day.  It comes with its unique set of challenges.  Like a marathon, the only way to reach the finish line is to complete each mile on my daily course.  I feel good knowing that today's story is the 1,400th consecutive blog message I've written.  My resolve is to keep this up every day until it's time to kick the bucket.
Now it's your turn.  What's on your bucket list?  If you prefer to keep your comments private, please email me.  I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments: