Thursday, August 23, 2012

Inside the Mind of a Songwriter

Last night, my wife and I enjoyed a date night in Des Moines.  My cousin, Mark Mulligan, was in town for a house concert.  We brought our daughter with us and spent the evening outdoors listening to Mark.  It was easy for me to see the pictures in my head of Mark's songs while listening because I grew up sharing many of the same experiences.  At the end of the show, I told Mark there is one word to describe him -- authentic.  If you haven't heard his music, make sure you check him out when he visits your neighborhood.  Mark is headed to Nashville soon to record his next CD and last night he gave us a preview of what is ahead.

This morning, while still hearing Mark's songs in my head, I discovered a YouTube video created by another songwriter my wife and I met at a fundraiser in Ramona.  Mary James gets her inspiration for her songs from the same source as my cousin.  The movie making software she used to match pictures to her music allows listeners a rare glimpse inside the mind of a songwriter.  Check it out here:


No comments: