Wednesday, August 22, 2012

How's Your Timeline?

The first sunset of 2012.  This photo is now featured on my new FB timeline.

The note at the top of my FaceBook page was uninvited, just like the new timeline they were forcing on me.  I asked myself, "is it time to end my relationship with this company or should I accept the changes?"

There is a delicate balance between sharing my life on social media sites and allowing people close to me to stay under the radar.  I'm careful to get permission from family members before posting pictures or personal stories.  I keep my work life private.  I avoid political debates.

Perhaps the best benefit of Facebook is knowing when a friend or family member is celebrating a birthday, graduation, wedding or birth.  It helps to know who is struggling with the loss of a loved one.  All of these benefits outweigh the changes being forced upon me on my social media page. 

How about you.  Are you happy with your timeline?  How do you walk the tightrope between privacy and sharing significant events in your life?  Please share your thoughts in the comments section.


No comments: