Sunday, August 26, 2012

A Lesson From The Story of Job

The LORD blessed the latter part of Job's life more than the first. He had fourteen thousand sheep, six thousand camels, a thousand yoke of oxen and a thousand donkeys ~ Job 42:12

It is difficult to read the story of Job in the Bible.  According to the story, Satan made a deal with God to tempt Job.  Job had everything -- riches, a beautiful family, and God's favor.  Then, it was all taken away.  Despite the agony Job suffered, he refused to turn away from God.

Unless you read the full story, you miss a fairy tale ending often overlooked by believers.  I see many parallels in my own life.  Many thought my life would never be the same once I left the great state of California and settled in the Midwest.  I gave up a house I cherished, a neighborhood filled with awesome people, a caring community, and a group of friends and business partners that I am blessed to know.  Many thought I lost my sanity.

Like Job, I knew God was with me, even if my life appeared to be headed for challenging times.  I found comfort in reading the full story of Job when I first arrived in Iowa, jobless and penniless.  The California short sale resulted in a loss of wealth which was stored up in an untimely home remodel just as the real estate market plunged.

There are millions of people just like me who are wondering if the second half of their lives will be better than the first half.  I already know the answer.  God is with me no matter where I live or what season of my life I'm experiencing.  He never abandoned Job.  God allowed Job to go through trials in order to grow closer to God and become dependent on Him no matter the circumstances.

Be careful to avoid Satan's empty promises.  True wealth does not come from possessions.  It comes from your relationship with God.  He is always close to you, especially in difficult times.  It is written:

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you ~ Deuteronomy 31:6


No comments: