Friday, September 10, 2010

Peeling the Onion

Each of us have "layers" on the outsides of our souls, just like onions.  We feel safe as long as the layers remain.  As I ponder this, I recall one of my dad's favorite quotes.  "It's a two-way street", he would say as he sipped his cerveza.  When it comes to relationships, you must allow your layers to be peeled away if you are ever going to have any kind of meaningful interaction.  Both onions need to be uncovered.

I never really had deep relationships because my guard was always up.  Perhaps I feared that if anyone ever saw what was inside my onion, they would not like what was revealed.  When the Holy Spirit entered my core, this fear disappeared.  He has also inspired me to get to know others at a deeper level, to peel away the layers that have stifled their spirits.

The truth is that we are all flawed.  Do not be afraid to become vulnerable.  Yes, you will be rejected.  Yes, you will be hurt.  You may see things in people that you do not like.  Accept them with all their strengths and weaknesses and encourage them to open up.  A true friend is the one who sees past all the layers and still accepts you for who you are.  Focus on quality relationships rather than quantity.  For those people in my life who have been willing to stand by me, I thank you and I dedicate today's message to you.  You already know who you are.  It may be a short list but I thank God that you are on it...

No comments: