Saturday, August 1, 2026

Someone Who Knew

 Stardate 08.01.2026

Every day on this assignment has introduced me to someone new.

Yesterday it was a teammate whose role had been limited by an injury. She couldn't do all the physical work yet, so we spent some time together in our temporary office as we welcomed new members.

Whenever I meet someone for the first time, I enjoy hearing their story.

She told me she had spent most of her career in sales. The part that caught my attention came later. She had been a licensed real estate agent and, more importantly, a productivity coach for a major real estate company. Her work wasn't simply selling homes. She helped successful agents become even better at what they did.

That immediately changed the way I listened.

People who spend years helping others reach their potential often notice things the rest of us overlook.

As we talked, she mentioned she had been quietly watching me interact with our new teammates throughout the day.

Curious, I asked, "How am I doing?"

Without hesitation she smiled and said, "You were born to do this."

Her words caught me off guard.

Then I laughed and told her I probably picked up my gift of gab years ago when I kissed the Blarney Stone in Ireland. Helen warned me not to do it because she insisted I didn't need any more blarney.

She may have been right.

We both laughed.

As the conversation settled, I found myself grateful—not simply because of the encouragement, but because of who it came from.

God has a remarkable way of placing people in our path at exactly the right time. Sometimes they offer practical help. Sometimes they share wisdom. And occasionally, they help us see a gift we've become so accustomed to using that we've forgotten it is a gift at all.

I'm thankful our paths crossed.

I have a feeling her greatest contributions are still ahead of her once she fully recovers. I'll be cheering her on from the sidelines.

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
— 1 Thessalonians 5:11

Join me here:

https://substack.com/@michaelmulliganlivelong

Thank you for spending a few moments with me today. I hope someone crosses your path this week with just the right words at just the right time.

Captain's Addendum

Bones: "Michael, you know, not everyone gets a career review from someone who's spent a lifetime spotting potential."

Spock: "Indeed. Encouragement carries unusual credibility when offered by one who has devoted a career to recognizing the strengths of others."

I smiled as I thought about our conversation. Sometimes God sends exactly the right person at exactly the right moment, and all that's left to do is say, "Thank You."

No comments: