Stardate 08.25.2026
Two things have changed within me since my high school days when I would often lock myself in my room and play two songs from Styx over and over.
Come Sail Away and Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man).
I got viejo. I got over my anger.
What stayed with me is my connection to Styx.
A few days ago, I wrote a post and shared the link on Facebook, “A Gathering of Angels Appeared Above My Head.” Two friends, Laurie and Jeanne, added the next lyrics to the song in the comments.
Apparently, I'm not the only fan.
That's part of my joy.
Connecting.
It's a challenge sometimes when I live so far away from the friends I grew up with. A simple comment on a blog post can suddenly close that distance.
Thank you, my friends, for chiming in.
Today's story is part two.
The younger version of me found relief by listening to Styx. The older version of me has found another place to work through the things that once occupied my mind.
Daily prayer.
Meditation.
During this morning's meditation, I found myself dwelling on “Fooling Yourself.”
I heard the song differently.
Years ago, I heard a song about an angry young man. This morning, I heard something from my own past.
I could listen without carrying the anger that once accompanied it.
That's a pretty good place to be.
When meditation was complete, I decided to search for the collaboration Tommy Shaw did with young musicians performing “Fooling Yourself.” I found a version I had never seen before.
I watched young people play a song that has been part of my life for nearly five decades.
There was something beautiful about hearing that song carried forward by another generation.
A song I listened to alone in my bedroom as a young man had somehow found its way into the hands of another generation.
Maybe that's one of the gifts of getting viejo.
We get to hear old songs with new ears.
We get to look back at younger versions of ourselves with a little more grace.
We get to recognize the places where we have grown.
And sometimes, we get to share something we loved with someone who wasn't even born when we first heard it.
I’m including the video below.
Perhaps it will bring you some joy today, too.
Styx's Tommy Shaw and Bitchin Sauce
“Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.”
James 1:19
Join me here:
https://substack.com/@michaelmulliganlivelong
Captain's Addendum
Spock: Michael, it appears the Captain has discovered that time changes the way we hear music.
Bones: Spock, give the man a break. He's just happy he finally got old enough to understand the song.
Spock: I believe that is precisely what I said, Doctor.
Somewhere along the way, the next step became easier to see.
I’m grateful for the young man who needed those songs.
I’m grateful for the man who can listen to them now.
May we all keep taking the next step.
May we live long and prosper.
No comments:
Post a Comment