Stardate: 08.10.2026
Helen and I attended 8 a.m. Mass yesterday morning.
The homily centered on the moment when Jesus sent His followers out onto the water while He remained behind.
A storm developed.
The disciples became frightened. Then they saw Jesus walking on the water. They thought He was a ghost. Jesus called out to them, and Peter responded by stepping out of the boat.
For a moment, Peter walked on the water.
Then he became afraid and began to sink. He called out to Jesus, and Jesus reached down and pulled him from the water.
The priest made a point that stayed with me.
Jesus knew the storm was coming when He sent the disciples onto the water.
We left Mass and headed toward Madison.
A storm was moving through the area.
Lightning lit up the sky as we drove. The flashes were bright enough to turn the dark clouds into silhouettes. We could see the storm around us as we made our way toward my first pickleball lesson with Adria Rushing, the pickleball professional who had visited us during the grand opening on Friday.
I thought about the homily.
We kept driving.
I wasn't afraid. I knew Jesus was with us.
We arrived on time, and the lesson began.
Adria worked with me on the fundamentals. She showed me proper grips, stance, and positioning. Each correction made the game make a little more sense.
I began to understand where my body should be, how I should hold the paddle, and what I should be looking for when the ball came toward me.
By the end of the lesson, I walked away with something I didn't have when I arrived.
Confidence.
I can learn this game.
There is plenty of practice ahead. That makes me smile because I enjoy learning something new.
After the lesson, Adria and I stood beside each other for an interview. We talked about the pickleball project back home, and I had an opportunity to give a shout-out to the committee that has worked so hard to make four outdoor courts possible.
Construction is underway.
I thought about how that project started with an idea. People stepped forward. The idea became a plan. The plan became a project. Now the courts are taking shape.
Eventually, Helen and I headed home.
The storms were still moving through the area. We found a path between them and made it home safely.
The homily from the morning kept coming back to me.
The storm was already there when we left Mass.
So was Jesus.
We kept going.
Peter's story stayed with me throughout the day. The storm didn't need to disappear for the journey to continue. There was still a next step to take.
Yesterday, my next step happened to be onto a pickleball court.
Tomorrow, it will be something else.
“Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
— Matthew 14:27
Join me here:
https://substack.com/@michaelmulliganlivelong
Captain's Addendum
Spock: “Michael appears to have discovered that storms can accompany recreational activities.”
Bones: “And somehow, Spock, he managed to turn a pickleball lesson into a spiritual lesson.”
Spock: “The evidence suggests the Captain is becoming quite efficient at this.”
I smiled when I thought about the day.
The storm was part of the journey.
So was the lesson.
I am grateful for the worship, the time with Helen, the lesson with Adria, the conversation about pickleball, the people building those courts back home, and the safe trip through the storms.
I have a pickleball paddle purchased from my day job, some things to practice, and another day ahead.
That is enough for now.

No comments:
Post a Comment