Stardate: 08.22.2026
I'm home.
God arranged the storms perfectly so I could enjoy great weather during the four-hour drive back to my family.
Yesterday, I watched some rather dangerous weather move around me as I made my way home. Today, there isn't a cloud in the sky.
That seems fitting.
In a few minutes, I'll head out for morning cardio tennis with my friends. This may be the last time I see them before I leave for Europe and an international conference with some of the fittest people in the world who happen to be pursuing longevity.
I'll work on the details of that adventure after tennis.
One of my tennis friends is seeking grants to pursue cancer research at the University of Iowa hospitals and clinics. We may have an opportunity to connect some dots today and explore whether my blog sponsor might be able to assist her research with a possible grant.
I love when life does that.
A simple morning of tennis can become an opportunity to help someone pursue something much bigger.
Coming home also reminds me how fortunate I am to have a family willing to support the life I'm building.
I've been away for long stretches this year. My day job assignments have taken me away from home and into communities where I've had the privilege of helping teams get ready for new beginnings. My family has supported those adventures. They've even come to visit me while I've been away.
That kind of support doesn't happen by accident.
I don't take it for granted.
Lucy is sitting in the driveway waiting for me to finish another dream.
I started that dream years ago. Now it has wheels, a name and a place in the driveway. There is still work to do before Lucy is ready for the adventures I have imagined.
The retirement clock is ticking.
Three years and ten months to go.
Lucy will be ready.
So will I.
This morning, though, I'm home.
I'm back in my hometown. Big things are happening here, too. Volunteers are giving their time and energy to make our community one of the best places to live in America.
I see the same thing everywhere I go.
People showing up.
People giving their time.
People helping build something they may never personally own.
Maybe that's part of what home means.
It is the place where people care enough to show up.
"Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever."
Psalm 107:1
Join me here:
https://substack.com/@michaelmulliganlivelong
Captain's Addendum
Bones: "Michael, you've been traveling all over the place and now you're calling a driveway full of unfinished projects home."
Spock: "An accurate observation, Doctor. The Captain appears to have discovered that home is a state of connection rather than a fixed coordinate."
Bones: "Don't get carried away, Spock. He's just happy to be home."
I think Bones may have this one.
I'm happy to be home.
I'm grateful for the people who make home possible. I'm grateful for friends who open unexpected doors. I'm grateful for volunteers who care about their community. I'm grateful for a dream sitting in my driveway, reminding me that there is still plenty of life ahead.
Today, my heart is home.
Live long and prosper.
No comments:
Post a Comment