Saturday, August 8, 2026

The Remedy Is a Walk in the Woods

 Stardate: 08.08.2026

Yesterday, we cut the ribbon.

The opening was successful. The work that had occupied so much of my attention for weeks reached an important milestone. There were people to meet, problems to solve, teams to encourage, and a thousand little details that needed attention.

Today is different.

I woke up knowing I had nowhere I needed to be.

Helen and I shared a quiet breakfast together. There was no rush to get somewhere. No schedule pulling us toward the next responsibility. We simply sat together and enjoyed the morning.

Outside, the sky is clear. The temperature is ideal for being outdoors, and there is a gentle breeze moving through the trees.

We are going hiking.

After weeks of living at a fast pace, walking the trails feels like exactly what we need.

There is something about walking that gives the mind room to settle. The body gets moving. Conversation happens naturally. Sometimes there are stretches of silence. You notice the trees. You notice the sky. You notice the people walking beside you.

Today, that person is my wife.

I have spent a lot of time during this assignment thinking about teams, leadership, responsibility and the people God has placed in my path. Those things matter deeply to me.

So does this.

There are seasons when the work demands our attention. There are also moments when the wisest thing we can do is step away from the work and allow ourselves to recover.

Jesus understood the need for rest.

“Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.”
— Mark 6:31

Those words feel particularly appropriate this morning.

The trail is waiting.

The country around us is beautiful, and we have the opportunity to slow down long enough to enjoy it. Helen and I don't need a complicated plan. We need some time together, fresh air and a good walk.

Sometimes the remedy is that simple.

Yesterday was about opening a new chapter for a team.

Today feels like opening a little space in my own life.

Join me here:

https://substack.com/@michaelmulliganlivelong

Captain's Addendum

Spock: Michael, the evidence suggests that walking may be an effective recovery protocol.

Bones: For once, Spock, you don't need evidence. Just go take the walk.

Spock: Agreed. And Michael, perhaps today you should allow the Captain to enjoy the scenery.

There are plenty of days ahead for the mission.

For today, I'm grateful for a quiet breakfast with Helen, a clear sky, a little breeze and a trail waiting for us.

That is enough.

And maybe that is the point.

Live long and prosper. 🖖

No comments: