Wednesday, August 5, 2026

The Work Before the Ribbon

 Stardate: 08.05.2026

This morning began the way I hoped it would.

Sleep gave way to quiet prayer. Meditation settled my thoughts before the day gathered momentum. My sleep report wasn't as strong as usual, although that wasn't a surprise. Our schedule has shifted this week to make room for family time, and I wouldn't trade those moments. Life has seasons. Over time, things find their balance.

Tomorrow morning, we'll gather outside a brand-new building. A ribbon will be stretched across the entrance. There will be smiles, photographs, speeches, and a community eager to see what has been taking shape over the past several months.

My thoughts kept returning to the people.

I thought about the teammates who have poured themselves into preparing every detail. I thought about the member who will walk through the front doors for the very first time. Somewhere tomorrow, someone will arrive carrying a burden that isn't visible. Another person may simply need a smile or a kind word before continuing with their day.

I hope I notice them.

Those moments rarely make the schedule.

They often become the reason we were there in the first place.

Looking back over the stories I've shared these past several days, I can see a thread I didn't recognize while living them. A prayer tucked inside a wallet. An unexpected conversation. A door that opened at just the right time. Small moments that quietly reminded me God is already at work long before we notice.

Tomorrow's ribbon will mark the beginning of something new for our community.

The work that matters most has already been unfolding through countless conversations, acts of encouragement, and ordinary moments of serving others with joy.

This morning I prayed a simple prayer.

"Lord, let every person I meet today leave with a little more hope than they had before we met."

"Let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." — Matthew 5:16 (NIV)

If you've enjoyed walking this journey with me, I'd be honored if you continued traveling alongside us.

Join me here:

https://substack.com/@michaelmulliganlivelong

Thank you for spending a few moments with me today. May you discover that some of life's most meaningful work happens quietly, long before anyone applauds.

Captain's Addendum

Spock: "Michael, history often remembers the ribbon. Logic suggests the preparation deserved equal attention."

Bones: "Tomorrow folks will see a building. You'll be watching for the people who walk through the doors. That's always been your habit."

I smiled as I packed my things for another full day. Tomorrow may begin with a ceremony, yet today is filled with opportunities to encourage someone along the way. Those quiet encounters are often where God chooses to meet us.


No comments: