Saturday, August 15, 2026

How to Handle Criticism

Stardate 08.15.2026

I've faced strong opposition over the years when it comes to sharing some of my crazy ideas.

The old version of me would have crawled under a rock, let the critics have their way, and prayed for the courage to accept the things I could not change.

Something has changed.

Lately, I've noticed that a few of those ideas are finding their way into the workplace. I don't claim all the credit. I do recognize the encouragement of one respected leader who challenged me to stop looking only at things as they are and imagine what they could become.

That simple shift in perspective has made a lasting impact on me.

Recently, I watched a video of Steve Jobs handling a tough question from a vocal critic during a live presentation. He paused, took a drink of water, and calmly acknowledged that parts of the criticism were valid.

Then came the teaching moment.

Jobs explained that when Apple designs products, they begin with the customer experience and work backward toward the technology. The philosophy helped create products that generated billions of dollars in annual revenue.

What impressed me most wasn't the business success.

It was the composure.

He listened.

He acknowledged.

He taught.

That lesson immediately reminded me of what we're trying to accomplish at my day job. The best solutions begin with understanding the people we're trying to serve.

Criticism will always be part of life. Sometimes it's unfair. Sometimes it's painfully accurate.

Wisdom is learning the difference.

I'm still learning not to fear criticism. I want to become the kind of person who can pause, listen carefully, find the truth hidden inside disagreement, and keep moving forward without losing my peace.

Perhaps that is one of the most valuable skills we can develop during uncertain times.

“The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice.”
— Proverbs 12:15

Join me here:

https://substack.com/@michaelmulliganlivelong

Captain's Addendum

Bones: “Michael, you actually listened to your critics?”

Spock: “An encouraging sign of personal development, Doctor.”

Bones: “I was going to say maturity.”

Spock: “Your optimism is noted.”

I've learned that criticism doesn't have to determine my direction. Sometimes it can help me see something I missed.

I'm still learning to pause.

I'm still learning to listen.

And I'm grateful for the people willing to challenge me along the way.

May you live long and prosper.

No comments: