Friday, August 28, 2026

Multiple Shout Outs to Multiple Teammates and One NFL Rookie

Stardate 08.28.2026

My team captain, Jim Sichterman, reached out to a couple of us last night with an update.

The men's 40 team is now in Oklahoma City for sectionals.

We came up a few critical points short of the state championships. The team was offered a wild card spot and decided to keep going.

I'm cheering from afar.

Knowing Jim, he'll find a way to navigate his team through some of the best competition in the Midwest. That's what good captains do. They keep people moving when the path takes an unexpected turn.

I have another shout-out for the ladies serving on the Pickleball Iowa County board.

They have been working to build four outdoor pickleball courts in our community where everyone will be able to play for free.

The whole town seems to be behind this project.

Our fearless leader, Jodi Stahl, and her volunteers have poured countless hours into making it happen. Pickleball USA selected our community for a $25,000 grant, which put us over the top and allowed us to move into the construction phase.

City Hall and local businesses have also stepped up in a big way.

I've watched this project grow through the efforts of people who simply decided to get involved.

Then there is our hometown hero, Kaden Wetjen.

Kaden is making headlines as a rookie receiver and punt returner for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Knowing his cousin, Mary Wetjen, the retired music teacher who raises money like no other, I have a feeling this young man has some pretty good people in his corner.

I'm looking forward to watching what happens next.

Kaden didn't arrive at the NFL by himself. Along the way, coaches in Williamsburg believed in him, taught him, challenged him, and helped him find his path.

Many of his University of Iowa teammates are also making their mark in the NFL.

I remember watching a couple of those games while vacationing with my family in Hawaii. One restaurant owner knew all about the Hawkeyes. It made me smile to see how far that Iowa connection had traveled.

I'm also thankful Kaden is on the cover of Where in the World is Wilson?

If you happen to have one of these coloring books, make sure you get Kaden to sign it when you see him.

There are a lot of people behind every person who gets an opportunity.

A captain keeps a team moving.

Volunteers build something a community can enjoy.

Coaches help young people discover what they are capable of doing.

Sometimes we get to see where those efforts lead.

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." — Proverbs 27:17

I'm grateful for the people who have sharpened me along the way.

I'm grateful for the people I get to cheer for today.

Join me here:

https://substack.com/@michaelmulliganlivelong

Captain's Addendum

Bones: "Three shout-outs in one log entry, Michael. You're going to run out of people to thank."

Spock: "Highly unlikely, Doctor. His sample size appears to be increasing."

Bones: "Well, I suppose that's one problem worth having."

I think Spock has a point.

The longer I travel through this life, the more people I notice who are quietly making a difference.

May you live long and prosper.

No comments: