Thursday, August 6, 2026

The Circle Keeps Growing

 Stardate: 08.06.2026

Golden Hour arrived a little later today.

Our schedule shifted because tonight is a special evening celebrating the opening of a new building. I'll spend part of the night serving cake while many of our newest employees have the opportunity to meet senior leaders. I find myself looking forward to watching those conversations unfold.

As I prayed this morning, my thoughts settled on the Serenity Prayer.

For many years, one line carried me through difficult seasons.

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change..."

That prayer brought peace when life felt uncertain. There were seasons when accepting what I couldn't control was exactly what I needed to learn.

This morning another part of the prayer quietly found its way into my heart.

"The courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Over time, I have discovered that my ability to influence others has grown in ways I never expected.

A conversation.

An encouraging word.

An idea shared with the right person.

Helping a new employee feel welcomed on the first day.

Teaching a company culture that has blessed my own life.

None of those moments seem particularly significant by themselves.

Years later, they begin to form a pattern.

Stephen Covey often wrote about focusing our energy on the things within our circle of influence. I understand that idea a little differently today than I did years ago. My circle hasn't grown because of a title. It has grown because God has entrusted me with more opportunities to serve faithfully.

That realization brings a quiet responsibility.

Every conversation matters.

Every person matters.

Every ordinary day carries the possibility of encouraging someone who may one day encourage thousands more.

I don't know what tonight will bring.

I simply hope to be present, grateful, and ready for whatever conversations God places in front of me.

"Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established."
— Proverbs 16:3 (ESV)

Join me here:

https://substack.com/@michaelmulliganlivelong

Thank you for walking this journey with me. I hope you discover that your own circle of influence may be larger than you realize.

Captain's Addendum

Spock: Michael, influence appears to expand in direct proportion to consistent acts of service.

Bones: I was going to say people trust the fellow who keeps showing up and helping. Sometimes science and common sense arrive at the same destination.

Michael: Today reminded me that wisdom isn't measured by how much control we have. It often grows one faithful conversation at a time.

No comments: