Stardate: 08.07.2026
This morning, they cut the ribbon.
I was there.
I wasn't on the clock. I'm working the closing shift today, so I had the opportunity to stand outside the building and watch the moment as an observer.
The new employees were shining.
There was an energy around the building that was easy to feel. People were smiling. The doors were ready. The work that so many people had poured into this opening had finally reached its first morning.
Then I looked around and realized I wasn't standing there alone.
Some of the neighbors who had stood with me outside the building during those early days were there for the ribbon cutting. Standing beside me was the pickleball professional I had invited to attend. The manager from the hotel where I've been staying was there too.
People from different parts of this little chapter of my life had somehow gathered at the same place at the same time.
Then the ribbon was cut.
Just like that, the building became a store.
I stood there and watched the new employees begin their journey.
There is something special about watching people step into a new opportunity. They don't know everything yet. They don't have all the answers. They don't need to.
They just need to begin.
Afterward, I went back to the hotel and arrived around the end of breakfast hours. Emily offered to make me eggs and sausage.
I said yes.
There I was, sitting down to a simple breakfast after witnessing the opening of something that had occupied so much of my attention for weeks.
Eggs.
Sausage.
A ribbon.
A group of new employees beginning something together.
A few neighbors who had become familiar faces.
A pickleball friend.
A hotel manager.
A morning that somehow brought all of these pieces together.
I've spent a lot of time during this assignment thinking about leadership, teams, relationships, and the work that happens behind the scenes. This morning reminded me that eventually there comes a moment when you simply get to stand back and watch.
The doors open.
People walk in.
The team takes over.
And you give thanks.
I think there is wisdom in knowing when to step forward and when to simply witness what God has allowed to grow.
"Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established."
Proverbs 16:3
The ribbon is cut.
The work continues.
And for a little while this morning, I got to stand outside and watch a new team begin.
Now it's time for a little rest in the jacuzzi before tonight's closing shift.
I have a feeling the new employees are going to be just fine.
Join me here:
https://substack.com/@michaelmulliganlivelong
Captain's Addendum
Bones: "Michael, you spent weeks helping prepare for this day, and now you're sitting in a jacuzzi."
Spock: "A logical transition, Doctor. Even starships require maintenance."
Bones: "Just make sure our Captain remembers to eat something before reporting for the night shift."
Sometimes the most faithful thing we can do is pause long enough to appreciate what has already happened.
The ribbon is cut.
The team is ready.
And I'm grateful I got to be there.
No comments:
Post a Comment