Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Before the Ribbon

 Stardate: 08.04.2026


My day began long before the sun came up.

Ninety minutes of prayer and meditation gave me the quiet I needed before stepping into another full day away from home. My sleep tracker showed some of the best deep and REM sleep I've had in a while. I smiled when I saw the numbers, not because they were perfect, but because they reminded me that preparation often begins long before we realize it.

In two days, our team will welcome a new community through the doors of a new building. There will be a ribbon stretched across the entrance. Local leaders will gather. Cameras will capture the smiles. It will be a wonderful celebration.

As I thought about that this morning, another ribbon came to mind.

Back home, the volunteer board I've been privileged to serve with is moving closer to building new pickleball courts for our community. One day there will be another ribbon to cut. Children will play. Friends will gather. New players will discover a game that has brought so much joy into my own life.

I don't know if I'll be there for that ceremony.

My assignment may carry me somewhere else before that day arrives.

That thought didn't leave me disappointed.

It left me grateful.

Every ribbon marks the end of a season of unseen work.

Long before the photographs are taken, someone has attended meetings. Someone has answered questions. Someone has moved one small piece forward when nobody was watching. Those quiet moments rarely receive applause, yet they become part of every celebration that follows.

This week I've been reminded how much can happen through simple conversations, willing hands, and people who choose to serve wherever they are needed. The work itself has become its own reward.

The ribbon simply gives everyone a reason to pause and celebrate what faithful people have already been building.

"Let us not grow weary of doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
— Galatians 6:9 (NIV)

Wherever your work finds you today, remember that not every meaningful contribution receives public recognition. Many of the most important things we build are measured in trust, kindness, patience, and quiet perseverance.

Join me here:

https://substack.com/@michaelmulliganlivelong

Thank you for walking this journey with me. May God give you the grace to keep building, even when the ribbon is still somewhere in the future.

Captain's Addendum

Bones: "Michael, you do realize people usually wait for the ribbon before they start celebrating."

Spock: "Doctor, the ceremony is merely the visible conclusion. The true accomplishment has already occurred through many faithful acts that preceded it."

Michael: I smiled. Most of life is lived before the ribbon. Today reminded me that every quiet act of service becomes part of something much larger than we can see.


No comments: