Thursday, August 13, 2026

The Night My Body Said Thank You

 Stardate: 08.13.2026

I woke up this morning feeling great.

That might not sound like much of a story, but when you pay attention to your sleep, sometimes the numbers get your attention.

Last night was one of those nights.

I recorded 7 hours and 29 minutes of actual sleep.

Deep sleep: 1 hour and 41 minutes.

REM sleep: 1 hour and 33 minutes.

I was awake for 1 hour and 1 minute, with a sleep latency of 23 minutes.

My sleep score was 73.

That last number caught my attention because 73 doesn't sound like an extraordinary score.

Yet I feel great.

Yesterday was a day off from my assignment away from home, and I spent it with my wife.

We went to Lake Michigan and found ourselves in a place that felt almost dreamlike.

It was foggy.

I couldn't see very far across the water, but I could hear the small waves rolling onto the shore.

There was something peaceful about being unable to see the horizon.

It felt like living inside a dream.

During our walk, I told my wife about something that happened a couple of days earlier.

A large white feather, probably 12 inches long, had floated down from the sky and landed ahead of me as I walked.

She told me she had heard there can be spiritual significance associated with finding a white feather.

I don't know exactly what the feather meant.

I do know how it made me feel.

Peaceful.

That sense of peace stayed with me through the day.

By 7:23 that evening, I was tired.

So I went to bed.

I listened to my body.

This morning, the numbers gave me something to consider.

My body gave me something else.

I've become increasingly interested in the science of healthspan and longevity. I'm tracking my sleep. I've experimented with nutrition. I've had a DEXA scan. I've been learning more about biological age and the things we can do to understand our health as we grow older.

DoNotAge has been part of that journey as my international blog sponsor.

Disclosure: DoNotAge sponsors my blog, and I receive a stipend when readers use my code LLAP. I want you to know that connection whenever I mention them or share my code.

If you're interested in learning more about DoNotAge, you can visit their website here:

DoNotAge

And if you choose to use my code, it's LLAP.

That's the commercial part of today's Health Update. The rest is simply me sharing what happened.

There is another chapter coming soon.

At the end of September, I'll travel to London for an international gathering of longevity doctors and researchers. I'll have the opportunity to listen, ask questions, and learn from people who spend their lives studying many of the things that have become increasingly interesting to me.

I'm curious about what I'll learn.

I'm even more curious about what questions I'll bring home.

For today, though, I'm grateful for a foggy day at Lake Michigan, small waves rolling onto the shore, a mysterious white feather, an early bedtime, and a night of sleep that left me feeling great.

Perhaps Psalm 46:10 says it best:

"Be still, and know that I am God." — Psalm 46:10

Yesterday gave me plenty of stillness.

Maybe that's part of why I slept so well.

Join me here:

Michael Mulligan on Substack

Captain's Addendum

Bones: "Michael, you're going to London to talk with longevity doctors, and you're analyzing your sleep numbers before breakfast?"

Spock: "An accurate observation, Doctor. The Captain appears to be gathering data."

Bones: "I just hope he remembers to enjoy the journey."

And perhaps that's the reminder I needed this morning.

Pay attention.

Keep learning.

Listen when the body says it's tired.

And when the day gives you a quiet beach, a little fog, and a moment of peace, stay there long enough to notice it.

Live long and prosper.

No comments: